Weather and climate
Best time to visit
November to March and July to August.
Explore the surroundings
Sri Lanka’s scenic southwest coast is dotted with luxurious Kuoni resorts where you can unwind on sandy palm-fringed beaches, such as sun-drenched Bentota. While away the days trying thrilling watersports, diving in azure waters and sampling delicious cuisine.
Active types can book a range of exciting excursions to attractions such as Kosgoda Turtle Hatchery or Muthurajawela Bird Sanctuary, or take advantage of the land sports on offer at your resort. Southwest Coast Holiday Highlights
- Bentota is famous for its watersports – dive into an underwater wonderland and try jet-skiing, windsurfing and parasailing.
- Stay at Club Bentota, an excellent value all inclusive resort.
- Many of our Sri Lanka Southwest Coast resorts boast pampering spas where you can indulge in blissful treatments.
- Indulge at the wonderful LIME Spa at Koggala’s five-star Fortress.
Many of our resorts have PADI centres. Sri Lanka’s waters are home to historic sunken shipwrecks and vibrant coral reef teeming with tropical fish.
Hit the azure ocean and try scuba diving, snorkelling, windsurfing, waterskiing, jetskiing, banana boating, catamaran sailing and kayaking.
- In Bentota, browse the colourful bazaar and pick up souvenirs, batik and brassware.
- Negombo is home to jewellers and gift shops selling local handicrafts.
- In Colombo you can barter at Pettah Bazaar, buy an exquisite sari and famous Ceylon tea, and admire local artists’ work. You’ll also find gem-studded jewellery (only buy from shops licensed by the National Gem & Jewellery Authority).
- Galle is famous for its antique shops selling colonial furniture and ornaments, porcelain and pottery.
- A short drive up from Galle is Ambalangoda, selling antiques and intricately carved ‘devil masks’ traditionally worn to banish demons.
- Further south in Koggala, purchase delicious cinnamon from the local plantation.